 General / 53203
Re: A quick LEGO History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:35:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote: SNIPPAGE
   Aside-- the wikipedia timeline seems to have it wrong. I’ve changed the timeline over there at least once, and some things seem to have been changed again, some incorrectly. It currently says:

“1932 - Ole Kirk Christiansen, opens his shop in the village of Billund, Denmark.”

“1965 - Lego Samsonite is discontinued.”

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legotimeline

DaveE

Dave, I see that Wikipedia is using the Official LEGO Timeline dates.

Well there’s a problem with doing that.... about 20-30% of the time those dates are wrong!

I have raised the issue. If anyone has corrections and can source them, please make the changes. Changes will stick a lot better if they are backed up with cites, per Wikipedia’s policy on verifiability, uncited changes have a tendency to get reverted.

That timeline, in my view, needs a discussion in the intro about whether it’s official, or accurate, and what the difference between those things is. :)

If you’re not sure how to do referencing, put the sources on the talk page and someone else will fix it for you ... or just find an article that uses them (they look like footnotes) and look at the source to see how to do it. Many of my recent articles use them. (for example Thornapple River does...)

Hope that helps.

++Lar