 General / 53200
Re: A quick LEGO History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 03:56:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
LEGO (The LEGO GROUP) started as a small Danish firm in 1932.

So, out of curiosity, why is this usually called the starting date? I always
hear it quoted that Lego started in 1932, but I'm not sure why people quote that
rather than 1895 or 1916. From what I know (from 50 Years of Play book):

1895 - "Billund Woodworking and Carpenter's Shop" is established
1916 - Ole Kirk buys the carpentry shop at age 25
1932 - Ole Kirk starts making wooden toys, comes close to bankruptcy, Godtfred
starts working for his father
1934 - The company is officially named "Lego"
1947 - Lego starts making plastic toys
1949 - 1st generation building bricks are made by Lego, based on Kiddiecraft
bricks
1954 - Lego "System" is conceived of by GKC
1955 - Lego System of play is marketed with Lego's building brick product
1958 - "Modern" building bricks are started with the stud-and-tube system

Did the company actually change its status as a firm/group/incorporation in
1932?

Courtaulds (today known as Courtaulds/Sara Lee), a textile and chemical
maker in Britain got the license for Britain (1960) as well as the British
Commonwealth. Courtaulds started their first overseas LEGO sales in
Australia in 1962.
[...]
The (British Commonwealth) Courtaulds license expired in 1993.  So today TLG
(The LEGO Group) produces LEGO for all countries worldwide.

Neat! I never knew that!

In USA and Canada (only British Commonwealth country not handled by
Courtaulds) the license went to Samsonite in 1961/62.  Back then the company
was still known as Shwayder Bros. The 4 Shwayder brothers founded the
steamer trunk company in Denver back in 1910.  Their famous "Samsonite" line
came later.  In 1965 they changed the company name to Samsonite.
[...]
The USA Samsonite license was revoked in 1972 (via legal action, because
LEGO complained that Samsonite was selling LEGO just like they were selling
luggage). The Canada Samsonite license continued until it was sold back to
LEGO as part of the levereage buyout in 1986.

Huh! Is there any more information out there concerning the Samsonite license
being revoked? I've always been curious about more details on how/why it
happened, although I have yet to hear any. Actually, I think your comment about
them selling Lego just like their luggage is the most I've ever heard on the
subject!

Aside-- the wikipedia timeline seems to have it wrong. I've changed the timeline
over there at least once, and some things seem to have been changed again, some
incorrectly. It currently says:

"1932 - Ole Kirk Christiansen, opens his shop in the village of Billund,
Denmark."

"1965 - Lego Samsonite is discontinued."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_timeline

According to answers.com, about Samsonite:

Interestingly, the company introduced LEGO by Samsonite in 1960. The
snap-together plastic building blocks for children enjoyed immediate
acceptance in the North American marketplace and eventually became one of
the most popular toys of all time. The stellar success of LEGO prompted
Shwayder Brothers to launch more than 50 new toy items before the early
1970s. Lagging performance of the toy division, however, caused the company
to jettison the operation in 1972 and focus on furniture and luggage.

Of course, it obviously didn't "jettison the operation" entirely, because they
still produced Lego in Canada! Sounds like a Samsonite rep tried to put a spin
on that one...

DaveE