 General / 48674
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, James Stacey wrote:
"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
Just for my own curiosity, would you mind indicating which set you own? As a
fan of that brand, I try to keep informal track of people's complaints to see
how they mesh with my own experience.

I got one of the smaller 'Dragons' sets just to see what it was like, how
the figs looked and (shh tell noone - if any of the parts would be useable
with LEGO)
I found the build quality to be far superior than the absolute pile of ####
it used to be, but, and its a big but, lets put it in caps BUT .. the way
they had applied the paint to the bricks to define them  (drybrushing??)
meant that they would not click together without considerable force. By that
I mean placing one brick on a flat surface and placing one on top with all
my weight. I ended up with 2 pieces which refuse to part and stud marks in
my hand.. I can't see kids doing too well using them. I guess with repeated
use (if you can get them together and apart enough if at all) the paint may
wear off where it shouldn't be, but is it worth bothering ???

As much as I love the trollish Vorgans and some of the Dragons pieces
(particularly the rough-hewn bricks), I really don't care for the painting on a
good many of the elements, and the over-juniorization leaves me cold.  Aside
from being a nuisance to render in LDraw (which it is), the painting really does
create problems with clutch power, as you've identified.  The juniorized wall
elements are also a pain to work with, and they're too specific in shape to
inspire me to do build with them beyond the official model shown on the box.
Now that I think about it, I have a piece from the Vorgan War Chest that looks
like a rickety wooden ladder, and I don't think it's painted.  Or if it is, then
it's only painted to embellish the wood grain along the length, rather than on
the connecting studs.  I like the piece for its organic appeance and because the
paint doesn't interfere with the playability.
On the plus side, you can use the stud-marks on your hand to build a staff that
will almost lead you to the Well of Souls.

If MEGABLOKS would release a "troop builder" set of Vorgans and the various
Knights factions, that would be something worth getting.  I wish that the
weapons more closely resembled real-world armaments rather; however, I do like
the Vorgan's aboriginal weapons, for some reason.

Dave!