 MediaWatch / 1540
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:31:09 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Jeffery wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Erik Olson wrote:
   Saw this scroll by on Bloomberg:

Mega Bloks Confirms Cancellation of Lego Shape Mark by European Union Trademark Office

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/08-02-2004/0002223318

Hey all, back from a long lurk and I see this!

Well, that’s fair enough. The LEGO trademark on the standard brick must have expired years ago, it’s only the fact that the community automatically associates said brick design with LEGO that prevented Megabloks taking it for themselves ages ago. The problem I see here is that if Megabloks go too far with this, they will start getting their products confused for LEGO’s,

This won’t likely happen. Previous lawsuits have ruled that MEGABLOKS has erred in marketing its product in a way that can confuse the buyer into thinking that MEGABLOKS are affiliated with or endorsed by LEGO. Therefore, for close to a decade, MEGABLOKS has been very careful to imply no LEGO endorsement, and LEGO isn’t even mentioned in the packaging.

   (Now that I own some Megabloks, I can say whatever I want) that is soft and hard to keep together.

Just for my own curiosity, would you mind indicating which set you own? As a fan of that brand, I try to keep informal track of people’s complaints to see how they mesh with my own experience.

   I can imagine the complaint call:

“Hello, Megabloks customer service, how can I help you?”

“I bought this kit for my son/daughter, thinking it was LEGO, but when they opened it, they noticed that the parts were poor quality compared to LEGO, and they fall apart really easily. Is there a way to get a refund or an exchange for the real thing?”

“I’m sorry, we can’t do that.”

“Well, I don’t know what I’m going to do, but I’ll certainly be buying less of your product in the future!”

To be fair, though, that doesn’t seem like much of a backlash. I mean, if the parent wouldn’t have knowingly bought the MEGABLOKS set in the first place, then it doesn’t harm MEGABLOKS if the parent buys no additional sets thereafter. Sure, she can complain to other would-be purchasers, but that’s always been the case.

   The other problem I see here has little relation to the Megabloks issue and a lot to do with the media (hence the x-posting) This website is supposedly a news site, i.e, an impartial participant here to deliver news. This report seems extremely biased to me - and not because of the content, it is simply because of the blatant advertising at the bottom of the page for Megabloks. I see no mention of Lego, and no links so that comparisons can be made by the consumer. Hmmmmmmmm...

Now that is a little weird. I guess it can be justified because the “about MEGABLOKS” info came from the website, and perhaps no one at LEGO.com wanted to go on record regarding the article. Further, the article isn’t intended as a compare-for-yourself admonition.

Still, a link to the two parties’ websites would probably have seemed more even-handed.

Dave!