 MediaWatch / 1544
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Goodness. I can think of close to a dozen brands that use some variation of the tubes-and-studs clutch system, so recognition could definitely be a problem!

Well, TLC certainly seems to agree, which is why they’ve been fighting tooth-and-nail to make everyone else stop making clone bricks.

   This item has been mentioned previously on LUGNET, but it seems relevant to bring it up again. The article points out that LEGO allowed the patent on the 2x4 brick, (presumably including the tube/stud system) to expire in 1978, so they opened the door for imitators. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t have renewed the patent, but now they’re reaping what they’ve sown.

Patents expire, whether you want them to or not. The idea is that you can patent something that you invent so you can actually make your money back instead of having someone else come along and copy you right out of the gate with lower prices (since they don’t have R&D costs to cover). Copyright lasts until X years after you, the creator, die, but Disney has successfully bumped the date back a number of times in court to the point where I’m not sure if the copyright on the early Mickey Mouse films (like Steamboat Willie) have expired yet or not. Trademark lasts as long as you can keep using it, but it has to be an identifying mark of your brand, not a functional idea. Disney can sorta hide Mickey behind trademark law as long as they keep using his earliest “spaghetti-limbed” incarnation in at least one current version of their logo, since anyone showing Steamboat Willie would be displaying a trademarked icon without permission. TLC has it a bit harder in that Mickey falls under copyright law, but the 2x4 brick falls under patent law, and Disney has no major vested interest in twisting those laws up in knots because they can’t be directly applied to Mickey.