 General / 43527
Re: Interesting question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:44:57 GMT

Hi all,

My two cents:

This has come up before in several forms. Here are two recent ones.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8120

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=9358

When it comes to building, I'm a purist: not Lego = no way.

But when it comes to Ldraw, I do a 180 on that. I can understand why Ldraw.org
is currently 100% focused on Lego. Among other things, it seems like the
currently available resources are better put to use in a focused direction.

But I also think that completely ignoring (even unconsciously) other initiatives
based around Ldraw might be missing future opportunities and interesting
developments for all.

I am aware of the legal / technical issues involved. But let me point to the
bright pink elephant sitting in the middle of the room which goes by the name of
POVray. If you use an infinite plane for a floor in POVray, are you not using a
non-Lego part? How is that different from, say, creating a POVray city using
this app:

http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax

and adding your Ldraw MOC to it? Where does the difference between a simple
plane and bunch of more complex structures lie?

I bring this to the discussion precisely because I've been working lately on
scenes that bring together  POVray code generated via L3P and via other
non-Lego-centric apps. And while I am a staunch defender of Ldraw as a great
entryway into 3D computer graphics arena (even if you are not a die-hard Lego
fan), it is also very clear to me that any user who wants to take the software
to the limits (even if the theme of the image or animation is kept strictly
within the Lego realm) must necessarily go beyond the world of Ldraw (i.e. use
POVray).

Thus, I would advise to at least keep an eye on (and ideally add some structure
to) these other initiatives. You never know when they might become handy.

Cheers