 General / 43510
Re: Interesting question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Now that we are seing more "custom" parts being made (for example the
Starwars weapons, the Castle accessories and the Train wheels), it raises
an important question...
are these "Lego"?

Quick answer, no.

For example, if I use them, am I no-longer a purist?

By definition, you're not using 'pure ' parts. (this sounds like an argument
about origami - a purist uses one square of paper to make what he wants.
Anything else is 'unpure.' How do I know? I do origami, and I am pretty spoiled
on the square of paper!)

Does using them constitute use of a "clone brand"?

Here's where it gets interesting. I wouldn't call the parts clone parts, more
like cousin parts, especially the train wheels.

Someone has already mentioned that the train wheels fit a need in the parts
library, and I agree with that line of thought. The Star Wars weapons and castle
weapons I tend to see as a compatible product that is an accessory, but not a
clone.

What about LDRAW, what if someone wants to create a LDRAW part file for
these parts (the train driver in particular), will the LDRAW people accept
it? (I can forsee people using the train driver in MOCs then wanting to CAD
and render and make instructions of and etc the MOC)

I wouldn't see why not.

And what about someone wanting to use the parts in a kit and then selling
the kit? Does the use of the part mean that its no longer LEGO?

Well,the selling of a custom kit isn't LEGO anyways, in my opinion. It's an
individual's interpretation of an item using LEGO, but it's not done with the
approval of LEGO.

And what about someone wanting to sell these parts on Bricklink or
whatever? (perhaps they have bought some wheels in one color and then
realized that they need a different color)

Don't see a problem...there WILL be a demand for the parts, as it addresses a
part people want. like the weapons.

Joe Meno