 General / 43497
Re: Interesting question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:46:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Now that we are seing more "custom" parts being made (for example the
Starwars weapons, the Castle accessories and the Train wheels), it raises
an important question...
are these "Lego"?

Hello Jonathan,

If I may be so bold as to attempt to answer some of your questions...

For example, if I use them, am I no-longer a purist?
Does using them constitute use of a "clone brand"?

Technically, the custom parts are not Lego so far as they are not made by The
Lego Group

A purist uses 100% Lego in their MOC's...with no exceptions

However, use of custom parts, in combination with standard Lego, should not
constitute use of a clone brand. Reason being that makers of these various parts
do not seek to usurp or replace the Lego brand as a building toy manufacturer
(unlike the hated megabloks, best-lock, etc.)
Builders of custom parts have the utmost repect for Lego, and are merely seeking
to fill a niche that TLG is unwilling or unable to

What about LDRAW, what if someone wants to create a LDRAW part file for
these parts (the train driver in particular), will the LDRAW people accept
it? (I can forsee people using the train driver in MOCs then wanting to CAD
and render and make instructions of and etc the MOC)
And what about someone wanting to use the parts in a kit and then selling
the kit? Does the use of the part mean that its no longer LEGO?
And what about someone wanting to sell these parts on Bricklink or
whatever? (perhaps they have bought some wheels in one color and then
realized that they need a different color)

I had posted to BrickLink earlier to the effect that one should be able to sell
custom parts, if only to get TLG's attention and show them that yes, there is
indeed a market for parts such as these, and they be missing out on a potential
gold mine

-HRH