 General / 43132
Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:59:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Spears wrote:
In lugnet.general, Paul Hartzog wrote:
I have been architecting/building a website for the lego community for over
a year now based on principles of bottom-up organization.  We, the community
would run the site, a site FOR us BY us.

At BrickFest of 2002 I even spoke with TLC about the scope of such a massive
and diverse project.  One goal of the site would be to promote
iteroperability and interactivity among all lego fan sites. (This is the
same  concept as the .space Moonbase standards created by the .spacers at
the 2002  Brickfest)

Why do it this way?  Because no one maintains a Lego train site like Lego
Train enthusiasts, and no one gets into a .space site like .space
enthusiasts.  In the quest for a generally useful site (like lugnet) the
burdens falling on the "managers" can be overwhelming and they don't have
the level of interest required to produce really exciting content.  This is
one of the reasons that specialized sites like FBTB or BZPower can become so
interesting.  {As a community we don't need ONE central site that does
everything}, we just need to create interoperability to facilitate all our
sites working together to enhance our online experience.

I would love for us to start a thread here on lugnet to discuss how we could
all work together to implement a community-run effort and a web-site
organized around that effort.  Articles, Calendars, Newbie info, shared
databases, etc. can all go into the mix.

It seems to me that if areas of the website could be editted/updated by
individuals who don't necessarily have permissions to the overall format, the
website would have a lot more of a community feel, and the burden on any one
particular individual would be minimal. (Similar to curators on LUGNET.) This
would help a lot in helping the website gain support from all corners of the
community.

On the topic of Calanders, I have an idea that I think would be really
useful. Imagine a place where every club could announce their events in a
central location.  And they hand out the url to people who attend their
events and visit their website.  So a person goes to this website, gets a
login (perhaps) and tells the system that they would like to recieve (in
their email) announcements of LEGO events within 100miles (or whatever
distance) of whatever zip code they choose to give.  That way a person is
signed up for only one list but gets notices of NILTC, Michiana-LUG, &
MichLUG (1) events, assuming those events are close to them.

I have more on the whole concept coming up in a later post, but just want to
bounce off of this idea. Calendar links could be entered in a central spot -
that would be good. But, taking it a step further (and underscoring that the
central site is a foundation to build _off of_), web objects could be developed
so a club could stick their interactive events calendar on their homepage.

See our upcoming events:
- public library 1/2/03
- big choo choo show 4/5/06
- meeting at joe's church 7/8/09

and then a link...
See LEGO Events by All Clubs

...that links off to the global event calendar, so people can see events all
over the world.

Just a thought - bring a piece of the foundation site to the club sites.
Interactivity and interoperability. :-)

-Tim