 General / 43099
Re: "get an orientation on the LEGO community"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:21:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Sophie wrote:

   In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote: Where does a newbie go to get an orientation on the LEGO community as a whole? Also, where does a seasoned veteran go for a one-stop LEGO experience, with direct access to information they need everywhere? I know this isn’t trivial stuff, but I think its a goal that can and should be worked towards.

We should form a commitee and make a web site. A guiding place for Newbies, AND as a guide or to put a “Face” to the resources, people, orgs, and knowlegde about building with Lego, etc...

But the key is that it would not be redundant because all the seperate repositories of activity in all the diversity of the people who enjoy building with Lego, could be shown, linked from this main portal to places like Lugnet, Brickshelf, Peron, BL, just to name a few, where all the good stuff really is.

Maybe people would come here and understand how to better interact or to just enhance their own knowledge.

I’ve got a lot to say on this but I’ll start with just one point no-one’s raised yet...

Is the web-presence of any other hobby better organised? There’s no point in reinventing the wheel, let’s look at how others have addressed this.

The only other hobby I spend any significant amount of time on is Classic cars. The web-organisation of which is utterly woeful despite it being a very popular hobby. There are hundreds and hundreds of sites but no high quality central place from which to find them. International links are pretty well non-existant.

Does anyone have an example of one that is better than us?