 General / 43096
    Re: "get an orientation on the LEGO community" —Eric Sophie
   (...) Facinating. We should form a commitee and make a web site. A guiding place for Newbies, AND as a guide or to put a "Face" to the resources, people, orgs, and knowlegde about building with Lego, etc... But the key is that it would not be (...) (21 years ago, 18-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: "get an orientation on the LEGO community" —Simon Bennett
   (...) I've got a lot to say on this but I'll start with just one point no-one's raised yet... Is the web-presence of any other hobby better organised? There's no point in reinventing the wheel, let's look at how others have addressed this. The only (...) (21 years ago, 18-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Paul Hartzog
   (...) I'd like to chime in here. The issue of community websites really concerns issues of the community as a whole. Is it democratic? Is it a despotism? A technocracy? In my experience, the online lego community IS the example for other online (...) (21 years ago, 18-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Jason Spears
   (...) It seems to me that if areas of the website could be editted/updated by individuals who don't necessarily have permissions to the overall format, the website would have a lot more of a community feel, and the burden on any one particular (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Paul Hartzog
     (...) So far, the architecture supports multiple levels of access to areas of the site, including various administrative areas for statistics, and management of content. It is my hope that much of the back-end reporting can be made useful to TLC, (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Tim Courtney
   (...) I have more on the whole concept coming up in a later post, but just want to bounce off of this idea. Calendar links could be entered in a central spot - that would be good. But, taking it a step further (and underscoring that the central site (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Paul Hartzog
   (...) The whole concept of web objects rests on creating some community standards for database interactivity and website interoperability, etc. What is the Stud? Lego is a perfect example. The stud is an interface standard. Each brick has a way of (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Jason Spears
   (...) Ok, so if I am following what you are saying correctly then; If a standard for event announcement was formalized, then as each webmaster updated their own page using that standard the community calander would notice and update itself (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Paul Hartzog
   (...) Actually that's backwards. Administrators could update information through a central web-interface and then any information they wanted displayed on their own pages would be done using web objects that retrieve information from various (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)

        Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website —Jason Spears
   (...) Ok, I understand now. And I like it a lot. IMO, that would be pretty darn cool. (And also from what stuff I know, a lot easier to implement.) So it all sounds good. Does anyone else have other ideas for places where this kind of thing could be (...) (21 years ago, 19-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.org, FTX)