 General / 43130
Re: Perspectives on a Lego Community Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Spears wrote:
   It seems to me that if areas of the website could be editted/updated by individuals who don’t necessarily have permissions to the overall format, the website would have a lot more of a community feel, and the burden on any one particular individual would be minimal. (Similar to curators on LUGNET.) This would help a lot in helping the website gain support from all corners of the community.

So far, the architecture supports multiple levels of access to areas of the site, including various administrative areas for statistics, and management of content. It is my hope that much of the back-end reporting can be made useful to TLC, perhaps by giving them some access to various reports, etc.

   On the topic of Calanders, I have an idea that I think would be really useful. Imagine a place where every club could announce their events in a central location. And they hand out the url to people who attend their events and visit their website. So a person goes to this website, gets a login (perhaps) and tells the system that they would like to recieve (in their email) announcements of LEGO events within 100miles (or whatever distance) of whatever zip code they choose to give. That way a person is signed up for only one list but gets notices of NILTC, Michiana-LUG, & MichLUG (1) events, assuming those events are close to them.

The calendar idea so far in development is to provide a single worldwide lego event calendar which various administrators can add events to and send out posts/emails about them. The main thing is that anybody can simply view the calendar and see things going on all over the world or just in their area.

-paul

   Paul Hartzog
Et In Arcadia Lego

(custom sig image courtesy of CGidd)