 General / 39374
Re: multi-set 'town' images on 1978-79 town instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:00:56 GMT

"Jeff Stembel" <aulddragon@earthlink.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
G'day,

I was looking through my small collection of instructions the other day, • and
I noticed that on almost every set of instructions for town there is a
picture of a town made up from sets available at the time the set was, • but
with the USA/Canada[1] version of 675 [snack bar] there is a hospital • that I
have never seen before.[2] This led me to the question...did LEGO only • use
actual sets in these pictures, did they use sets that were being planned • as
well, or did they just decide to build this one-off model for the • picture?

Any help would be appreciated (I can try and scan the image if requested,
too.)

No need to scan it, it was in the '79 US catalog:
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1979/c79us/c79us-11.html

The most interesting thing about that catalog picture is that the hospital
building is the ONLY "set" in that diorama that is NOT shown in the catalog.
That is something that I could never figure out.  Every other set in that
picture is in that catalog.  Even though I had (and still have) Engine
Company No. 9, I always thought that this hospital was the best set in that
entire scene.  I wonder if anyone at Lego can shed some light on this
mystery?  My guess is that this was a set that was scheduled for release but
for some reason was scrapped before production.

Tim