 Instructions / 124
Re: multi-set 'town' images on 1978-79 town instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:57:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
G'day,

I was looking through my small collection of instructions the other day, and
I noticed that on almost every set of instructions for town there is a
picture of a town made up from sets available at the time the set was, but
with the USA/Canada[1] version of 675 [snack bar] there is a hospital that I
have never seen before.[2] This led me to the question...did LEGO only use
actual sets in these pictures, did they use sets that were being planned as
well, or did they just decide to build this one-off model for the picture?

Any help would be appreciated (I can try and scan the image if requested,
too.)

No need to scan it, it was in the '79 US catalog:
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1979/c79us/c79us-11.html

I would guess it was a promotional set or something.  I don't think they would
have used a non-set for that image.

Strangely enough, this building appears on a 'T' intersection road plate and
the other sets shown all appear on the base-plates that they were released
on, with the only other road-plate set shown being the police station.

I'd also guess that it was released on that plate, if it is a real set.

Jeff