 Instructions / 129
Re: multi-set 'town' images on 1978-79 town instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:18:41 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
G'day,

I was looking through my small collection of instructions the other day, and
I noticed that on almost every set of instructions for town there is a
picture of a town made up from sets available at the time the set was, but
with the USA/Canada[1] version of 675 [snack bar] there is a hospital that I
have never seen before.[2] This led me to the question...did LEGO only use
actual sets in these pictures, did they use sets that were being planned as
well, or did they just decide to build this one-off model for the picture?

Any help would be appreciated (I can try and scan the image if requested, • too.)

Thanks,

Benjamin Whytcross

Funny you mention this. A few of us discussed this item during BrickFest 2002,
during my
'old Lego paperwork' session. My understanding is that indeed, these catalog
pictures are supposed to show real sets, and that hospital was planned as a
release, but never happened.
We all agreed it would have been a cool set.

This is not the only time this happened. Recently (1996) a set was pictured in
a catalog but never appeared: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6500

Roy