 Instructions / 123
122  |  124
Subject:
multi-set 'town' images on 1978-79 town instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:59:39 GMT

G'day,

I was looking through my small collection of instructions the other day, and
I noticed that on almost every set of instructions for town there is a
picture of a town made up from sets available at the time the set was, but
with the USA/Canada[1] version of 675 [snack bar] there is a hospital that I
have never seen before.[2] This led me to the question...did LEGO only use
actual sets in these pictures, did they use sets that were being planned as
well, or did they just decide to build this one-off model for the picture?

Any help would be appreciated (I can try and scan the image if requested, too.)

Thanks,

Benjamin Whytcross

[1] I know this because the image shows the US fire station [engine Co No.
9], Exxon petrol tanker, and US lifeguard base

[2] the building is white, 22 studs long [presumably 6 or 7 deep], has two
red 1x4x3 frames with white windows on the left of ground floor, and two
similar frames o the right, possibly with glass, and with red and white
striped awnings [there would appear to be another window of the same around
the right-hand end.] This floor is topped with a red roof, with a smaller
structure on the left-hand end, being an 8x6 'room' with windows and
possibly a door opening onto the roof towards the 6x6 red cross tile pattern
on the right-hand end roof. in front of the building there is a red and
white medical car built on a red 4x10 chassis with two figures seated in it,
along with what appears to be a person being pushed in a wheel-chair. there
is a lamp-post and bench seat across from the left-hand end of the building,
and a red-cross flag at the left-hand end on the ground.

Strangely enough, this building appears on a 'T' intersection road plate and
the other sets shown all appear on the base-plates that they were released
on, with the only other road-plate set shown being the police station.