 General / 33092
33091  |  33093
Subject:
Ed Boxer - I'm OK - A day I will never forget
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:25:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

First of all, to all the people who have e-mailed me - both Joe and I are fine.
We greatly appreciate your concern.

As to the terrorist attack, allow me to provide a little color.

I work in the World Financial Center - directly across West Street from the
World Trade Center twin towers.  I was standing at a printer by the window
facing the WTC when the top of the north tower exploded.  Pieces of building
the size of a bus were raining down along with what looked like confetti.  All
of it was hitting the windows in our building.  We immediately evacuated the
building.  We had just walked down 27 floors and exited the fire stairwell onto
West Street when this rocket noise was overhead.  I thought it was a missile.
1000s of people ran through Battery Park City towards the Hudson River.  The
second explosion happened.

I met up with some of my co-workers.  We started walking toward the Staten
Island Ferry - on the promenade along the Hudson River.  Everyone was trying to
call anyone on his or her cell phones - none worked.  Every pay phone we passed
had a line of 20+ people.  2 of my co-workers decided they were going to wait
in Battery Park to figure out how to get to NJ.

True to NYC, construction workers were still working on a new high rise in
Battery Park City and the parks department was mowing the lawns in the Battery
Park as if nothing was going on.

We get to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal - it's a mob scene - literally 10's
of thousands of people are waiting to get on a boat.  They announce that the
first ferry out will not be until the bomb squads have searched all the boats.
The ferry terminal has about 50 pay phones - there were lines for all of them,
but we each made at least one call to let people know we were OK.  We met
outside the terminal to wait for a boat.

While we were waiting for the boat, we heard a huge explosion and saw tons of
gray smoke and debris flying down the streets towards the ferry.  Everyone ran
out of the ferry terminal - we ran in - the boat began to load.  Everyone on
the boat grabbed life vests and put them on.  People were fighting for life
vests.  As the boat is loading the gray smoke and debris are flying past the
boat (it looked like the initial attack scenes from Independence Day - the
movie).

The boat finally left Manhattan - it was not until we passed the Statue of
Liberty that you could see anything out of the windows of the boat.  When we
docked in Staten Island and unloaded, we started walking towards my apartment -
a long ramp exiting the Ferry Terminal to the street.  We looked towards
Manhattan and saw that the WTC twin towers were gone.

We met three more of my co-workers walking up the ramp - they had no idea where
they were going - they came to my house too.   We stopped at a neighborhood
deli so some of them could get some necessities.  The proprietor was handing
out bottled water and was offering the phones in the store to anyone that
needed to make a call - the Pharmacy was doing the same.

By the time we got to my Apartment - its 10:30.  The people that came with me -
1 Staten Island - 2 Brooklyn, 1 Upper East Side Manhattan and 2 NJ.  We spent
the next several hours determining how they would get home.  We still have one
girl from NJ staying with us.  Her husband is stranded in Brooklyn.

The Staten Island Yankees Baseball stadium (next the ferry terminal) - has been
turned into a triage center.  Evidently work has gone on all night.

Looking out my living room window this morning is an unbelievable sight - the
WTC twin towers are gone.  Smoke is still billowing across lower Manhattan.  I
have no idea how many of my co-workers got out of the area before the buildings
collapsed.  I have no idea how much damage was done to the building I work in.

READERS BE WARNED - THE FOLLOWING IS VERY GRAPHIC.

Sunny - one of the girls from Brooklyn - was coming to work, walking down
Liberty Street (the street at the south end of the WTC) when the first
explosion occurred.  Body parts were raining down on Liberty Street along with
building debris.   She was hit by a hand.

When we exited the fire stair well, before the second plane flew in, we saw
that people were jumping from the top floors of the Trade Center - many of them
on fire.