 General / 33150
Re: Ed Boxer - I'm OK - A day I will never forget
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:21:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Ed Jones writes:
First of all, to all the people who have e-mailed me - both Joe and I are fine.
We greatly appreciate your concern.

As to the terrorist attack, allow me to provide a little color.

I work in the World Financial Center -

I was in that building too.  My office is not there, but I have a client there
who I work on site with twice a week.  This is what happened to me.

Warning this account is graphic as well.

Well went to what I figured was a usual day, up on the 37th floor.  Was talking
with one of the staff when I heard a boom and noticed some rippling in the
shadows off the WTC.  I looked up and saw a huge gash in the tower and fire
pouring out and immediately thought a plane had crashed.  Ran, grabbing my bag
and headed to the stairwell.

The people from the department and I managed to get to the ground floor, but
just as we exited the building, the second plane flew right over us and crashed
into the building.  I saw everything, and it was just luck that I was on that
side, and not the other where the flames came out.  But a ton of debris came out
the back too.

It was sheer pandemonium then.  Someone behind me ran into me so hard I was
shoved to the ground, cutting open my knuckles as I hit the ground.  As I got
up, something charred hit the ground about five feet away from me.  It was human
sized and smelled of burnt beef.  I did not stick around to look, but got up and
got out of there, turning to a side loading door.

Managed to find one of the people in the department who was stuck there having
an asthma attack.  She was also paralyzed in panic.  I knew I could not just
leave here there and that if we got to the water we should be relatively safe
from any flames.  So I grabbed her arm and led her to the water.

The rest of the department found us, and I stopped walking her once we got to
the water.  I then started looking for a phone so I could call my Mom and my
office to tell them I was still in one piece.  Couldn't find any, and got back
to the group.  The department head and I went off again to try to find which
direction we should start moving too, the area was still to close to the
buildings, and I warned them that they were in a  huge risk of falling down.

Finally found a phone, in a bar.  The Depart Head said he would wait for me
while I called.  I did not get in touch with home but did managed to call work
and told them to please pass a message on to my Mom that I was all right.  I
then exited the bar.

To find I was ditched by the Department Head and on my own.  Just then I heard a
creaking noise and screaming that building was collapsing.  Figuring that I was
on my own, I started quickly moving to Battery Park, but could not out run the
dust storm that spread out in the area.

Ever see pictures of Mount Saint Helens erupting?  That's what the cloud was
like.  Totally blinding and raining dust and ash.

Kept walking, jumping over ledges to get further along.  Eventually I stopped,
held my breath, and converted my buttoned down shirt to a makeshift breathing
mask.

The air cleared and the sun came out again.  I found I was by the water still in
a corner area where a bunch of other people had ended up.  I must thank the
policemen and policewomen here, they were really doing a great job keeping
people calm and handing out breathing masks.  Unfortunately I never got one
cause some jerk snatched the one I had in my hand and ran away.

Well then the second building falls.  This time I was ready.  I put my make
shift mask back on, got down on the ground, and remembering a portable umbrella
I had with me, opened it up and covered my head.  This one was not as bad, it
went in the opposite direction mostly (which actually was the area my brother
was in at the time.  He managed to out run it by heading into Greenwich Village
and maneuvering through alleys).

Eventually a bunch of boats, from tug boats to ferries and even sail boats, came
to the railing.  IN a quick and organized way, everybody got onto the boats.  I
managed to get on one of the ferries, which brought me to Jersey City.

Well wandered around there for a while not sure what to do.  Eventually I went
to one of the hotels, just to clean myself from the dust and ash.  After that, I
left the bathroom and looked around the hotel lobby.  I managed to actually get
some food, which was amazing since downtown Jersey City was closed.  After
eating, I asked the desk if they knew if any cabs were running still.  None
were, but the trains at Hoboken were still going westward, which meant a way
home.  It also meant I had to walk to Hoboken.

After a half an hour walk I arrived at Hoboken and found a train on my route.
But once inside they evacuated cause of a bomb scare.  Everybody was quickly
evacuated, and luckily it was just a  false alarm.  We climbed back in and the
train left, bringing me back to my town.  I walked from the station to my house
a few blocks away and finally collapsed once inside the front door.

I was one of the lucky ones.  I managed to get out of their with some messed up
lungs and a scared hand.  My lungs should clear up in a month.  I feel for
everybody else that was their and hope that they keep on finding survivors in
the ruins.