 General / 33263
Re: Ed Boxer - I'm OK - A day I will never forget
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:06:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ed Jones writes:

Looking out my living room window this morning is an unbelievable sight - the
WTC twin towers are gone.  Smoke is still billowing across lower Manhattan.  I
have no idea how many of my co-workers got out of the area before the • buildings
collapsed.  I have no idea how much damage was done to the building I work in.

Just wanted to provide an update:

All of my co-workers are fine.  Other than some cuts and bruises (1 man was
trampled, 3 others were hit by debris) and several who are still unable to
return to their homes (in Battery Park City), everyone is good.  One co-worker
lost his son-in-law (a fireman).  His body was located on Friday.  Almost all
of us have lost friends or associates in this disaster.

My company is still searching for temporary office space for my department.
Not sure when I'll be going back to work.

The World Financial Center buildings have all suffered extensive damage from
the collapse of the twin towers (they are shown constantly on the news).

Life in general:

I live 2 blocks from the Staten Island Ferry - the Ferry has been closed to the
public - the ferry is being used to transport rescue workers, iron workers,
police and firemen, as well as supplies, to the site.  The Staten Island
Yankees Baseball Stadium (next to the Ferry Terminal) has been used first as a
triage center, now as a rescue operation staging site for rescue workers.

There is a local Bar - Cargo Cafe.  The owner is an artist and regularly
repaints the entire outside of the building with murals.  By Wednesday morning
the outside of the Cargo Cafe was repainted - an American flag with a silloutte
of the WTC twin towers with the words "and the rockets red glare".

The entire nation has come to the aid of NYC.  On Staten Island - the Home
Depot closed to the public for 2 hours.  The Home Depot invited the rescue
workers to come to the store and take any supplies they thought would be
necessary.  All local stores have been stripped of batteries, socks, work
cloths, Gatoraide, tools, etc.  There are long lines to donate these items at
the Baseball Stadium.

How am I coping:

I'm OK.  Although the sound of any plane flying nearby is still a little
unnerving (especially the F16s that are flying very low).