 General / 28523
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:31:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
The reality is that children
will return to a toy with open-ended play possibilities and ultimately
disdain the toy they have already played through in terms of its utility.
This accounts for certain toys' longevity in the marketplace -- etch-a
sketch, tinker toys, lego, play-doh, etc. With toys like those one is never
done playing as long as one has an idea of something that they want to
achieve with the toy.  And this is basically why some of the best toys are
the simplest -- paper and pencil, crayons, plasticene, and the like.

Engage a child's mind with a toy and you have a consumer for life.  Where's
the proof?  Well, take a look around the community here, most of us are
AFOL.  Now just consider how it began...

Richard, these are beautifully worded statements and ring with truth.

And it is because of the kind of toy that Lego is that we can be optimistic
that Lego will be around for a long time to come.