 General / 28391
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:59:26 GMT

2001

Duplo:    49
Belville: 11
Scala:    11
Mybot:     2
Action W:  5
Mickey Mouse:5
Creator:   7
City:     12
Train:     5
Racers:    9
Race:      7
Arctic:    6
Adventurer:6
Alpha Team:7
Castle:    6
Football:  8
Studios:   7
Life on M: 8
Star Wars:28
SW Technic:7
Bionicle: 16
Technic:  21
Mindstorms:5

Total 248

And I just want to add I like none of the new stuff at all...
I don't like any of the studio line - way, WAY overpriced
racers or race, bionicle, 95% of the life on mars - most of the sets
were probably designed by people in a loony bin rather than in a research/
development lab, and then probably missed the marketing department....
there are a couple of notable exceptions (the shuttle isn't bad with the
lab module, that looks interesting...)
Alpha team isn't bad except that it should have been given a home base
right off the bat with all the 6 characters, and had each of their individual
vehicles sold as individual items.  The ogle side needed to be expanded as
far as vehicles are concerned - they only have a "heavy attack" shuttle
(from their command base) and a "light attack/high mobility pod"
(ogle command vehicle)  The individual characters are neat and believable
just not marketed as well as Lego has done in the past.
The 2000 models that are still around are great....I love the soccor sets,
the castle sets (Leo versus Cedric sets) - but wished the Bulls got their
own castle - I guess their mission is to pillage and conquer other castles
in the subtheme!!!
To me the arctic theme wasn't bad but didn't interest me very much....was like
the Ice Planet 2000 subtheme for space....was intriquing but not that
desirable.
The only thing that really pissed me off about the current line is that there
are no classic space sets, no classic town sets, and no classic train sets,
apart from the 4561 Express train, which came out in 1999 (and not as nice as
the other train sets) and the still available 4565 Freight and Crane Railway
which is still available at Shop @ Home.  The accessories to the train
sets are also pail in comparison to the accessories in the past.
Train station, Freight station, train wash, cherry-picker utility truck,
all of them are substandard in comparison to the old train sets,
and there is nothing new since 1999.
City/Town sets, the last bunch of sets are pretty good, I have 6600 hiway
construction, the front-end loader, the lift truck and soon the firefighter's
HQ will be arriving (purchased at a good price off e-bay) That will
complete my 2000 city sets...
most of these are too juniorized still but way better than the 1997-1999
sets they came out with (except I'm ashamed to admit that I have 95% of
these) the only set I don't have and won't purchase is the Police Command Base
the last "HQ" they came out with....I have the Central Precinct Station
that came out in 1992, and love it and it is a better suited police head
quarters!!!