 General / 28359
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:54:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
it turns out, I think that if TLC did almost everything that AFOLs wanted,
business would be better.  That's my take on it in a "nutshell" edition for

How about "... did almost anything ... " ?

Now, to be fair, I do think that TLC *are* doing some things that are of great
advantage to AFOLs.

First, there's the Bulk Brick offerings.  Yes, I know, many of these same
bricks were available in slightly different assortments ("Blue Bricks", "Red
Plates", etc) before.  Personally, I find their current grouping (a number of
exactly the same brick) infinitely more palatable.  Also, they *are* trying to
give AFOLs the bricks we want- note the whole "train windows"
debacle/correction.

Second, I think that the offerings like the Statue of Liberty and the Dragon
statue are definite overtures to AFOLs.  Kids are not going to want those sets.

I also imagine that the eventual "design-your-set-online" will have higher
functions that AFOLs and older modellers will get more out of than kids.  That
remains to be seen, of course.

eric