 General / 13707
Re: What are your 10 most wanted pieces from LEGO Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:09:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:
I know that everyone has different want lists of LEGO piece.  When LEGO
Direct opens the flood gates for Bulk Orders, what are (hopefully) your
first top 10 ordered items?  Here's mine (with initial quantity):

[snip]

Of course, this assumes that you can order parts in colors that are not
in current sets.

Gary Istok

Hi there,

I'm a little surprised that this thread wasn't at least cross-posted to
lugnet.dear-lego.  I'm sure that TLG is capable of reading the entire newsfeed,
but I'm not sure that they are actually doing so.  So, I'm making that cross-
post now, and setting followups to lugnet.dear-lego as well.  Are any of you TLG
folks reading?  You can now easily follow the thread back into lugnet.general
where it originated, in case you've missed it.

I'm still a relative small-timer as LEGO goes, and I'm not sure how large I
really want my collection to become.  Those of you quoting inventories in excess
of 100,000 parts amaze me.  Still, here's a first guess at what I would order.
Like Gary, I assume that the production of parts in alternate colors is not a
problem.  (I also assume that prices will be reasonable!)

1) 3 X 4 low slopes -- 200 ea. black; 100 ea. blue, red, light gray, brown *
2) 2 X 2 tiles -- 300 ea. black, blue, yellow;
   200 ea. light gray, white, tan, red
3) 2 X 1 tiles -- 300 ea. black, blue, yellow;
   200 ea. light gray, white, tan, red
4) 1 X 1 tiles -- 100 ea. black, blue, yellow, light gray, white, tan, red
5) 3 X 2 inverse low slopes -- 300 ea. black (Space fans will understand!) **
6) 1 X 16 bricks -- 100 ea. yellow, black, light gray, tan, white
7) 1 X 12 bricks -- 100 ea. yellow, black, light gray, tan, white
8) 1 X 8 bricks -- 200 ea. yellow, black, light gray, tan, white
9) 1 X 8 tiles -- 100 ea. yellow, black, white
10) 1 X 6 bricks -- 300 ea. black, light gray, tan, white

* NOTE: 3 X 2 and 3 X 1 low slopes are also needed, though in lesser quantities.
The point, if it isn't obvious, is to able to make sloped roofs for large
buildings of arbitrary dimensions, and with staggered joints.  I note that a few
other people have listed 3 X 4 low slopes on their wants list, and probably for
similar reasons.  It MIGHT be sensible to create a standard "roof kit" bulk
package that includes, say, ten 3 X 2's and ten 3 X 1's along with 100 3 X 4's.
Oh, and possibly some of those 2 X 1, 2 X 2, and 2 X 4 low-slope peak pieces!

** NOTE: Same reasoning as above, for 3 X 1 inverse low slopes.  If you're using
3 X 2 inverse low slopes, you probably also need 3 X 1's, but in lesser
quantities.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology