 General / 13619
Re: What are your 10 most wanted pieces from LEGO Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:15:41 GMT

Steve, I don't think that something of your scale is impossible by parting
out blue tubs.  There are 120 2x4 bricks in a tub.  That would mean you need
to part out 42-84 tubs.  This is indeed a large task, but by no means
impossible.  I sorted 96 tubs in 7 days once.  Of course, I wouldn't want to
do it again, but it can be done.

I know all about needing immense numbers of bricks for large building
projects.  I am in the initial stages of creating one of the largest
privately built Lego displays around.  It is going to be about 4 years to
finish, according to my best estimates and will be about the same size as
the current GMLTC train display.  I have to sort out 1,000 blue tubs to get
enough bricks just for the bases.  I have already done 175 of them and am
waiting on another pallet of tubs.  I am also looking for the 2xN bricks, so
I can't help you there.  All I can say is that it can indeed be done.

What colors are you wanting?

I would be very annoyed to see the bulk ordering started with 2x3 bricks in
red, yellow and blue, rowboats and monkeys!  (Amazing what some people will
ask for in bulk!)

I want RARE COLORS!  These I would love to see in bulk.  To get 5,000 bricks
in any given common color may be expensive, but try to get them in brown,
transparent or light blue.

I do agree with you that it is a hassle.  I just don't agree that it isn't
realistic, because I have done it once in those quantities and will do it
several more times.

Mike

Steve Martin <martinsa@mail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Mike Poindexter writes:
I don't want to see bulk bricks right away.  They have been around for a
long time.  People who want 400 black 1x4 bricks should either buy them • off
of ebay or buy the tubs and buckets themselves and part out the rest.  I
want what I can't get through other means!  Glass for my train windows.

I disagree completely.  I assume (I could be wrong) that the basic bricks
would would be some of the easiest pieces to do bulk ordering for.  They • are
about as general purpuse as things come.  Plus, for building anything of
appreciable size, you need LOTS AND LOTS of them.

I'm expecting to put in an order for between 5,000 and 10,000 2x4 bricks • this
year if they are offered.  Trying to accumulate that many through auctions
would be very expensive if not impossible, especially in the colors I • want.
The hassle would be immense.  As far as buy buckets and piecing them out, • I
don't think that is realistic at this scale.

-Steve Martin