 Gaming / BrikWars / *326 (-10)
Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:50:21 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

The game, by the way, was great. We played for about 10 hours (!) and had a pretty clear victor (Wayne) by the end. 6 skiffs entered the fray, and there was every form of battle imaginable: gunfire, ramming, boarding actions, hand-to-hand. Even the dreaded Sandworms of Kar’Zuba got into the action, gorging on troopers abaonding their skiffs as they went down. Photos of the game itself can be seen here.

-Shaun

Is there a article available describing the battle in detail? I am also interested in this type of gaming, being a fan of Space:1889. I even did some British troops and a mini-Aphid:

Now I want to expan my Aphid, any suggestions?

-- Don GtwLUG Lugnet#1239 St. Louis

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:29:10 GMT

I really, really like this! It is so complete looking and has a beautiful presence and balance all of its own. Absolutely amazing work! A beautiful MOC!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:08:36 GMT

Very nice, I like how the bottom of the hull is not flat, gives is a believable purpose. Very spelljammers feel to it.

Now you need a steam punk foating dock to more it to.

Aaron

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

Shaun,

I really like this, you put a lot of detail into making this, and it’s very believable in a steampunk sort of way!

Thanks,

George

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   This is also a great example in my book of how to use the two different browns together. The two different tones add so much to this.

I like the effect also. It became apparent very early on that I would send myself to the madhouse if I insisted on using a single color only - and that assumes that I even had the pieces I needed in the right color. When building the deck and hull I instead employed a philosophy of “grab the nearest piece needed as long as it’s brown, reddish-brown, or black”. IMHO the result looks a little ragtag or patchwork, but not enough to detract from the military bearing of the skiff. Maybe I should dub the effect “lovingly worn”?

Thanks for the comments!

Shaun

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:34:49 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   This is also a great example in my book of how to use the two different browns together. The two different tones add so much to this.

I agree. It became apparent very early on that I would send myself to the madhouse if I insisted on using a single color only - and that assumes that I even had the pieces I needed in the right color. When building the deck and hull I instead employed a philosophy of “grab the nearest piece needed as long as it’s brown, reddish-brown, or black”. I like the result - it looks a little ragtag or patchwork, but not enough to detract from the military bearing of the skiff (IMHO). Maybe I should dub the effect “lovingly worn”?

Thanks for the comments!

Shaun

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:25:35 GMT

Thanks for the comments and feedback Ted.

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Ted Godwin wrote:
   [snip]

A very minor quibble: Lots of dials are great but where are all the control levers and wheels and such? Two seems like too few. (Nice use of the door for decking/engine hatch though.)

[snip]

I think that’s a fair criticism. If I lived in a steampunk economy I’d definitely invest in dials, gauges and levers. Unfortunately I had a tough time figuring out how to cram in more controls abovedeck. Maybe I should try mounting a few levers on the hatch itself? I’ll have to think on that one.

My concession was to cram a few more controls around the steam boiler. It’s hard to see but there’s another manual wheel just forward of the boiler door, and the lever/handle on the door itself.

Even so, I’d love to jam some more controls around the pilothouse.

Thanks again,

Shaun

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:27:00 GMT

That is great. As soon as I saw the pic I thought the bow looked familiar. You have really captured the PT boat look with that bow construction.

Some cool details as well such as the Little Armoury (I think) halberds as boarding pikes. I also liked the arched windows with grilles in in the hull. Your hull construction method really allowed for neat details.

A very minor quibble: Lots of dials are great but where are all the control levers and wheels and such? Two seems like too few. (Nice use of the door for decking/engine hatch though.)

What a huge crew! Yet they all fit really nicely.

Fantastic pics BTW. Really nice detail shots

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:06:18 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Timothy Gould wrote:

That’s rather incredibly cool. I particularly like how it’s quite ‘realistic’ within its own logic:

Thanks! That was one of the aspects that I enjoyed the most - trying to rationalize “how it worked” as it was being built.

   the grilles over the fans,

The trick is not to crew your Dragonfly-class Torpedo Gunboats with women wearing Victorian hoop skirts.

   The split hull construction is particularly effective. It’s probably a good way of doing boat hulls too.

That’s actually where I started with this technqiue. I’ve been plugging away on a WWII ship for a couple years now, and have half the hull of Blackbeard’s Queen Anne’s Revenge done in this same style. Who knows if they’ll ever get finished, but I’m pleased with how the method works.

Thanks again.

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:28:58 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=261935 -Shaun

Wow! Very inpressive. Excellent details, weaponry and such.

This is also a great example in my book of how to use the two different browns together. The two different tones add so much to this.

Simply fabulous.

Best,

Jonathan

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact