 Gaming / 19
Re: Simple (but fun) Castley Strategy Game(y)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:12:29 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Tony A. Rowe writes:
gives a sort of "sneak peek" into my game rules (I'm afraid it's a bit too
long to fit the rules into just one post).  The page I have up has some

I couldn't find any of the rules! Only two pages of cool magic info.. love
those staffs though!

You found everything.  I haven't posted any of the actual rule set.  While
designing, I've been making a bunch of creations and mostly wanted to show some
off. =]

The rules that we made up were very simple, mainly because that made it easier
to remember them, as we thought of them as we went along.. but I'd like to see
more in depth rules.. specially the sort that you could print out nicely -
postscript/pdf/whatever :) I won't have time to do anything like that till the
summer though :/

When designing a game, there is always the dilemma of 'rule simplicity' vs.
'rule completeness'.  I don't like wargames where there is little difference
between unit types and all weapons work pretty much the same.  At the same
time, I don't want to have rules so complex that I constantly have to flip
through the rulebook when all I want to do is play with Lego bricks!

At its heart, I think that my rules are pretty simple and easy to remember.
Things only start to get complex with vehicles and magic and such.  Then again,
I designed the rules so of course they are easy for me to remember.  I would
like to have people playtesting the rules soon.

Any volunteers?

Does Castle World have an ongoing storyline/history/plot? What would be really
cool would be to take magical items/battles from those scenarios and reinact
them in LEGO :) If that's not already what you are planning!

Yes, the plan is that Castle World (CW) will have many interlinked, ongoing
storylines.  Essentially, each member of CW will be detailing the adventures
and battles and whatever else that happens in their land, with or without
interaction with other lands in CW.  The battles in CW might not be reinacted
in Lego, but actually inacted in Lego.  In other words, several people have
discussed waging wars and playing out wargames in order to determine who wins,
what the losses are, and so forth.  Thus, any games could determine the outcome
of the future storylines.

Check out Lugnet Castle for more info.  Any post starting with [CW] is about
Castle World.

Tony