 Events / BrickFest / 3328
Re: The Great Ball Contraption at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:02:03 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Chris Magno wrote:

what happened?  can i see the GBC in "da books yet"
how did it go?

   Well, Steve may have more infomation coming, but for now...

   It Went Terrific!!

   We had more than 40 modules built by 30+ builders in a rectangular layout
serviced by two trains running in one loop with (at one point) eight loading &
unloading stations going. The whole thing was up and running (as much as
possible) several times on Friday & Saturday. Sunday, for the public, we ran it
every hour on the hour - and boy did the public respond!! At the top of the hour
the room was generally packed enough that no one could enter (fire codes? what
fire codes?), and the air conditioning was completely useless on Sunday.

   There were modules that threw balls four feet in the air, loaded & unloaded
trains, counted, sorted, and played with the balls, let kids build their own
portions, etc. Here's the great part - there were so many modules we never did
get all of them into the layout "in line": we had more modules than we had room
for, which was more than I could have hoped for! The themed modules were
wonderful as well: a pirate ship that fired balls at the "town" across from it,
a space shuttle that loaded the balls into the cockpit area, and a jungle for
the balls to get "lost" in. One of the modules could even fire a minifig (OK,
not during the usual run but it was fun to watch).

   I'd love to point you to a Brickshelf gallery, but I don't have one up yet.
Perhaps someone else? I strongly suspect folks will want this back next year
(not to mnetion at the next HoB event in Chicago, or other events); there was a
lot of interest expressed by train groups and others.

   My thanks to all those that helped in ways big and small with this. Keeping
everything running was a *major* task, with breakdowns, misalignments, etc., and
a lot of builders stepped up to the plate to keep their modules working, as well
as maintaning lots of others or swaping modules in and out as they died (funny
thing - a lot of LEOG mechanism start to malfunction after 10+ hours of
run-time). Again, thanks to all, and anybody got some galleries up yet?

   Any other questions?

--
Brian Davis
GBC slave (& I have the engraved brick to prove it)