 Events / BrickFest / 3091
3090  |  3092
Subject:
The Great Ball Contraption at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 20:53:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As previously announced <http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=23244>, we will be
assembling a Great Ball Contraption <http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/> at this
year's BrickFest.

At the same time, we will be attempting to set a new world record for the
Largest Rube Goldberg machine
<http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/gwr5/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=48837>
with our Great Ball Contraption.

You don't have to be a master robot builder to participate.  In fact, this
picture <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1120554> shows a module
that uses just a couple Technic pieces.

There will be several awards available to module builders, including the crowd
favorite, and the best use of a theme, like in this soccer module
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1095132> Or this 70s style
module <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126282>

Some of the modules already set to attend include a soccer ball rollercoaster,
'Gus' the forklift, a construction backhoe, trains that can stop at multiple
stations, and a conveyor belt powered by a motor.  Ok, the last one is not as
exciting as the others, but when they're all assembled, it's really something to
see.

During the weekend, we'll be running parts of the GBC, and at scheduled show
times, the whole ball contraption will be moving balls around the room.
Sometime on Saturday, we'll configure the contraption to act as a "one-shot"
Rube Goldberg machine, and attempt to set a Guiness World Record for the Largest
Rube Goldberg machine.

While we don't need to know exact sizes, yet, we do need to find out how many
people are interested in building modules for our world record-setting Great
Ball Contraption.  So, if you want to participate, please send me your name, and
planned module size.  Keep in mind, many of the "normal" modules are built on a
32x32 baseplate, and you are free to build and contribute as many modules as you
wish.

This is your chance to be part of the madness that transpires when AFoLs from
all over contribute their modules to one of the biggest works of moving LEGO
artwork ever assembled, and help us try to set a Guiness World Record...

Check the GBC @ BrickFest web site
<http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/BrickFest.html> for updates and start
building your Great Ball Contraption modules now!

Steve