 Dacta / 271
Re: ControlLab 70909 Interface (9751?) VB.NET Class (DLL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dacta
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 03:02:10 GMT

In lugnet.dacta, Brian Bachmeier wrote:
In lugnet.dacta, Jetro de Chateau wrote:

That sounds very promising! I have absolutely no idea about VB. My idea was to
build something for a display at a LUG event which would require the interface
to be connected to a laptop. Unfortunately, the only laptop I have that has a
serial port (the other 'big' problem of the interface) runs windows 98 and
cannot run XP - Will that be a problem?
Otherwise, do you think your VB application will work over a USB-Serial
converter? (robolab doesn't - I've tried half a dozen different adapters).

Jetro

I have not had any problems using the CLI with a Startech USB-Serial converter
on my laptop (running WinXP). I have also used the converter successfully with
Robolab 2.5.4 and 2.9.

http://www.startech.com/item/ICUSB232-USB-to-RS232-DB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable-Male-to-Male-Serial-Adapter-USB-to-Serial.aspx

Brian

I am using a Prolific USB-Serial Adapter for my CLI project and it works great.
I am using it on a Dell Latitude E6500 with Win XP SP3.

I don't believe my VB solution will work on windows 98 because it needs the
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 sp1 which, I think, does not install on win98.

I understand that this solution is still NOT the ultimate solution since VB.NET
is not as easy as simple lego logo langage.

I did choose VB.NET because I currently use VBA (Visual Basic for application)
that comes as part of all MS Office applications (Excel, Access).  VB.NET
express edition is Free and not that difficult to learn by ourself compare to
other langages.  A lot of good ref exist on the net.
And it offers lots of possibilities.  Not only it provides a way to make a
program to handle CLI's I/Os but it also gives a great Graphical User Interface
(GUI) where we can put Push Buttons and feedback indications, counters
indications etc...  (try Lego70909DemoSource.zip to have a look at the GUI for
testing all CLI's I/Os).

I could eventually write a PDF document that explains, step by step with images,
how to build a Lego CLI application in VB.NET if people shows interest in
building their own lego CLI project using my VB.NET DLL.

If you tell me what exactly you want to do with your CLI at your LUG event (What
is connected to your CLI I/Os, How many CLIs, A functionnal description
explaining the logic in relation to all I/Os.), I would be glad to build a
program for you.  As long as it is not a very long term contract ;-).

Yves.