Re: [CW] The Lapidarium
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:45:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, James Howse writes:

...And so it came to pass that the mighty craftsman Billund did
create gems from the raw material of the universe. Each had
their proper hue and virtue, Twelve they were. Over time they
have been scattered to the far ends of the worlds. All have
gained grand histories and long names, all have been sought,
found, used and lost but never all brought together.
It is prophesied that when all the stones are gathered
together and set in their proper order then the powers shall
be released from the gems endowing the gatherer with a might to
match Billund, to be able create (or destroy) all that has been
built and recorded...

Wow.  This is kinda bizarre, because it's very similar to a storyline that
I myself was going to do before Castle World got started.  (I've more or
less set that one aside to bring a tighter focus onto the Sain/Batu
storyline).

The plot involved a great magitechnical "engine" that was concentrating
the world's magic into crystalline form.  It was designed and operated
centuries ago by a now (nearly) extinct pre-human race...however, the
power struggles over the resulting gems destroyed their continent and sank
it below the oceans.  The engine never ran long enough to drain all of the
magic from the world, but it sucked enough that the people who posessed
the gems were powerful wizards, and very few other people could use magic
at all.

When CW started, I decided that the plot I had planned would be too
difficult to coordinate, and of course, I didn't want to try to force
other CW members to agree with the way magic needed to work for this
story.  So that plot got set aside.

Parts of it did get recycled, though.  Originally, one of the last
surviving members of this ancient race was going to be Sain's companion,
but the character evolved and changed into Batu somewhen before I did my
first storyline.  The idea of the sunken continent and the nearly-extinct
ancient race is still around (as Arjan and I could tell you).  Some of the
other ideas might be showing up later (in altered form) as well.