 Castle / 2456
Re: Map Scale, Realms, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lance Scott writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:

But Castle World is not a game.  There's no need for Play Balance.  Just
like an author doesn't need 'play balance' in his books.  We're creating a
'shared world fantasy' here (like the _Wild Cards_ or _Thieves' World_
series), not running a roleplaying game.

Ah Ha!  At the most basic level, CW is a game.  It's "Let's Pretend" which is
the simplest game there is.

I disagree - unless you also want to count 'writing a novel' as a game of
Let's Pretend!

I think the two activities are very similar - perhaps even closely
related.  After all, there are certainly 'shared world' settings that
evolved from roleplaying games.  (The one I'm thinking of is _Wild Cards_,
which came from a game of Chaosium's _SuperWorld_ played by George R.R.
Martin and some others)

There are rules to follow, but very few of them.
This is not AD&D, GURPS, Hero System or any other "Let's Pretend" RPG, it is a
consensual game being made up by the players as we go along with guidance from
the UberGods.

I disagree.  Although Pawel and Craig are certainly coordinating this
effort, I don't think they see themselves as the 'UberGods' or 'Game
Masters' of CastleWorld.  In theory, we all have a say in what's going on.

So what are the differences between writing a novel and running a
role-playing game?  Well, a role-playing game is internally focused.  It's
purpose is to entertain the players.  This is the same as you sitting at
home playing with your LEGOs.  A lot of fun!

Writing a novel is externally focused - you're trying to entertain the
audience.  The considerations are different in a lot of ways - having done
both game mastering and writing, I can say confidently that they are
*very* different.  (And these differences are one of the reasons why
'gaming fiction' is often lousy compared to regular fiction)

Anyway, I see CW as 'writing a big novel witha bunchof co-authors'.  And
so play balance doesn't need to enter into it - 'interesting story' does.