 Castle / 2437
Re: Map Scale, Realms, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:10:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lance Scott writes:
Massive snippage

They may have a reason.  The best one I can think of is "Play Balance".
They have obviously announced that armed conflict is a possibility in CW.

This will make it a whole lot easier for the Big Guys to pick on smaller folk,
IF they choose to do so.  You can support a lot of troops with a huge Realm.

That doesn't matter.  Combat and Wars are *completely* optional!  For Example,
Let's say My Necromancer and his army of Undead soldiers decide to attack Dave
Eaton's Peaceful Village.  I email Dave and ask him if we can have a battle.
If Dave's not in the mood or his storyline doesn't allow for an armed conflict,
he can decline and my Necromancer has to turn his sights elsewhere.  If we *do*
decide to fight, then a storyline we can both agree on is developed to conclude
the battle.  Only if we both want a wargame type battle will there be any
chance of a random outcome.

And our Realms may not be the Old Timers.  They may have several Large Realms
running as NPC counterweights, or we may be the Intrepid explorers expanding
the boundaries.

Actually, I think it should be up to the member as to how old their kingdom is.
It is their kingdom afterall.

Having been in a "Found Your Kingdom" game, there is a certain pleasure
finding out what's over that mountain range or up that uncharted river and
growing your town from next to nothing to a thriving metropolis.

The point of Castle World isn't to play a game, it is to bind all our different
Castle storylines into one single world, where we can interact with each other
and enhance the stories with other people's participation.  It is more like a
group novel or TV show than a roleplaying game (IMO).

I think they want us all to start small and "build" appropriately. And that's
half the fun of telling a story is seeing where it will take you.

You are correct, to a certain extent.  However, many stories dump you in the
middle of things (in media res?), and take it from there.  Many times, you are
at the beginning of a novel, and yet lots has happened before the opening of
the book.  Take Tolkien's Lord of the Rings as an example.  The main story
doesn't start at the very beginning of Middle-Earth's History.  This is how
many fantasy novels work.  And this is how I see Castle World working.  Some of
us will start at the very beginning, others will start at the beginning of a
major event, and others will just dump you into the middle of the story.

Jeff
"You can't be a hero hiding underneath your bed"
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/