 Castle / 2366
Re: [CW] More new pics ... and guns in CW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:20:45 GMT

Jason Catena wrote:
My blacksmith (Atsidi) learned how to (create? and) care for firearms during
his years of sea travelling. He have learned firsthand how destructive,
opportunistic, and dishonorable they are, and take that knowledge into his own
practice of weaponsmithing. His own original culture used bows and arrows, and
hatchets.

I was even thinking rarer than this.  Here's the idea I had:

Cornelius came up with the idea after hearing about the 'explosive alchemical
powder' that someone had developed.  He sent his idea to a bunch of other
wizards, who basically laughed it off because "nothing Cornelius builds ever
works right - and it has a distrssing tendency to explode anyway..."

2) Early guns didn't make bows obsolete for centuries because of the
  difficulties.  A well trained bowman can fire a score of shots in the time
  it takes to reload a gun.

Repeating firearms should be banned from CW, in my opinion. It should take as
much effort to load a gun as to reload a crossbow.

Definitely agree!

1) Gunpowder is not widely known.  In fact, gunpowder as we know it doesn't
work in CW.  The mixture used in Sain's pistol is a magical powder made by
alchemy - a secret known only to a select few.

Well, Atsidi for example learned a lot of ancient arts of war from a race which
is now all but extinct in my realm, its recorded knowledge completely
destroyed. It's possible that Atsidi is one of the few people left that knows
secrets along the lines of gunpowder, and the contruction of firearms.

I'd personally prefer to scatter the knowledge more. Maybe Atsidi would be able
to make the alloys and do the fine metalwork needed for a working gun, but not
have knowledge of how to make the alchemical powder.  Certain wizards would have
the powder but know nothing about the metalworking.  And even those two aren't
enough because you'd need a copy of the plans drawn up by Cornelius.

I would encourage the people who 'own' the alchemist(s) with the formula and
the blacksmith to also take into consideration the quantity and quality of
the ballads the person has produced in the past.

The point being, if someone wants to field an army of repeating weapons or
sniper rifles, they should go to "Renaissance World" instead of "Dark Ages
World?"

Repeating rifles are long past the Renaissance.  They should go to Civil War
world!

In small quantity, less than half a dozen to a dozen per realm, guns aren't any
worse than dragons, that I can tell.

Rarer, I think!  Even with a dozen per realm we're moving out of the realm of
'these weapons are strange and mysterious things', which I think would be
important to keeping the fantasy/medieval feel of CW.

With these 'Gun Control' laws in place, I think that guns will be, as you
suggested, "very, very rare and almost magical".  I realize that by dropping
the pistol into my story I'm circumventing a couple of them, but rest assured
that I intend to fill in the back story and present to all the tale of how
Sain himself acquired the gun.

I don't mean to try to put myself in the position of being the only gunsmith in
Castle World, but I saw an opportunity to place my character in the story here.

Well, I *was* going to talk to you about a duet or two in the future anyway...
perhaps Sain brought you the plans for the pistol and you were able to make it
for him?

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m