 Castle / 18247
Re: Santiago's Gate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:26:32 GMT

"Juan Cuello" <rasterman@telefonica.net> wrote in message
news:HMnvqu.1D2C@lugnet.com...

  Hi everybody.....again.....
    This weekend seems to be a great weekend to build some lego castles, • so here
it's another MOC I'm very proud of it....

  The Santiago's Gate is based on a real Gate that allow access to the old
village of Trujillo, located in Cáceres - Spain.
  It's flanked by two impressive towers. At right side we have the belfry • of
Santiago's church. At left we have the defensive tower of the fortress of • Chaves
family.

  In middle ages when a noble family shows his valour and courage in • battle, or
his loyality to the king, he wins some honors or privilege. One of the • most
highs of these privileges was the 'honor' of defend the gate of the • village from
intruders. This is the case of Chaves family....

  From the year of 711 to 1492 AC, the Spanish Christians were involved in • a
'particular' crusader over the Moors called 'La Reconquista'..... For more • than
700 years they battle over the Moors and sometimes over themselves to win • the
'control' of all Spain and overseas.

  Trujillo was taken by Moors. It's an impregnable fortified bastion. This • added
to the great courage and military knowledge of the Moors 'meens' that the
Christians had very difficult to re-taken the village..... It's told that • then
the image of Santiago (patron saint of Spanish Christians) appears upon • the
gate.... This help the Christians to cheer up and lead them to the • victory....
Since then, the cross of Santiago is put on the Gate. The Chaves family • wins the
honor of defend the Gate, and a church is build in memory of Santiago.... • who
'helps' to reconquer the city.

Here it's my MOC of Santiago's Gate..... It has several adaptations to • the
minifig scale and to the CCC standard, but I'm still very proud of it.

  Enjoy it..... (this time I'm sure you will ;-)

  juan

  PD: I'm working on some interiors, but at the moment there is nothing
completed (as always, sugestions, comments and ideas are welcome)

Juan .. I love it. Loads of attention to detail and the entire thing looks
well proportioned. I really like the setback wall pieces, makes the whole
thing look a lot more robust. I also like the barred window, very typical to
the spanish castles (I believe Exin Castillos windows all looked like this)
Really a very good looking moc. Thankyou for sharing

--
James Stacey
------