 Castle / 18253
Re: Santiago's Gate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:56:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Juan Cuello wrote:

From the year of 711 to 1492 AC, the Spanish Christians were involved in a ‘particular’ crusader over the Moors called ‘La Reconquista’..... For more than 700 years they battle over the Moors and sometimes over themselves to win the ‘control’ of all Spain and overseas.

Trujillo was taken by Moors. It’s an impregnable fortified bastion. This added to the great courage and military knowledge of the Moors ‘meens’ that the Christians had very difficult to re-taken the village..... It’s told that then the image of Santiago (patron saint of Spanish Christians) appears upon the gate.... This help the Christians to cheer up and lead them to the victory....

Hi Juan, this is a great MOC and a perfect Timing: I just came home yesterday from my pilgram’s way to Santiago de Compostella. The Image of Santiago (I think it’s St.James in english) you described above that appeard from heaven shows him on a white horse slaughtering the Moor. A sculpture of this appearance is shown in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostella:

Santiago ‘helped’ not only to reconquer the city but all of Spain. His remains are said to be buried in Santiago de Compostella. His grave is now the third biggest destination of christian pilgrams just after Jerusalem and Rome. What a surprise to find your fantastic model after 5 weeks of travelling on this historic route. ->dö