 Castle / 18227
18226  |  18228
Subject:
Santiago's Gate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:32:54 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

  Hi everybody.....again.....
    This weekend seems to be a great weekend to build some lego castles, so here
it's another MOC I'm very proud of it....

  The Santiago's Gate is based on a real Gate that allow access to the old
village of Trujillo, located in Cáceres - Spain.
  It's flanked by two impressive towers. At right side we have the belfry of
Santiago's church. At left we have the defensive tower of the fortress of Chaves
family.

  In middle ages when a noble family shows his valour and courage in battle, or
his loyality to the king, he wins some honors or privilege. One of the most
highs of these privileges was the 'honor' of defend the gate of the village from
intruders. This is the case of Chaves family....

  From the year of 711 to 1492 AC, the Spanish Christians were involved in a
'particular' crusader over the Moors called 'La Reconquista'..... For more than
700 years they battle over the Moors and sometimes over themselves to win the
'control' of all Spain and overseas.

  Trujillo was taken by Moors. It's an impregnable fortified bastion. This added
to the great courage and military knowledge of the Moors 'meens' that the
Christians had very difficult to re-taken the village..... It's told that then
the image of Santiago (patron saint of Spanish Christians) appears upon the
gate.... This help the Christians to cheer up and lead them to the victory....
Since then, the cross of Santiago is put on the Gate. The Chaves family wins the
honor of defend the Gate, and a church is build in memory of Santiago.... who
'helps' to reconquer the city.

Here it's my MOC of Santiago's Gate..... It has several adaptations to the
minifig scale and to the CCC standard, but I'm still very proud of it.

  Enjoy it..... (this time I'm sure you will ;-)

  juan

  PD: I'm working on some interiors, but at the moment there is nothing
completed (as always, sugestions, comments and ideas are welcome)