 Castle / 14750
Re: Medieval Marketplace (A Common Castle Builders Project)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:45:43 GMT

<de-lurk>

While I'm not taking part in the Moonbase project, I did read the terms that
had been developed. About the only "firm" issues were the size and height of
the airlocks, plus a minimum set-back for airlock support (so that a
moonbuggy could pass underneath). These kinds of minimum standards could be
adapted to this proposed project without cramping creativity - which is the
whole purpose of building stuff!

What I see developing here are two competing but complementary ideas. One is
for a "marketplace" - generally an open place that has been filled with
basically temporary type structures, with enough room for pedestrian
traffic. The second is for a "market/town street", with permanent structures
of one or two (maybe even three!) floors containing shop/home.

Here are some proposed guidelines, which are presented for discussion (i.e.
other views are welcome):

Marketplace:
- Baseplate standard: 16x16;
- temporary style structures of one level (an "attic" level might be workable);
- front offset of ~3-4 studs - allows for pedestrian traffic between facing
stalls;
- back offset of ~1-2 studs - for back alley access for merchants;
- if not a full-width stall, a side offset of ~1-2 studs;
- if a corner stall, front off-sets of ~3-4 studs on both sides, back
off-set of 2x2 studs minimum.

Market/Town Street:
- Baseplate standard: 16x16;
- Baseplate variations: 16x32 for longer buildings, or regular back-to-back,
OR 32x32 for longer buildings, back-to-back;
- permanent style structures of one or two (or maybe even three) levels;
- 1 stud front off-set (so baseplates can be connected with brickplates);
- back off-set of ~1-2 studs for back alley;
- no side off-set or overhang;
- ~2 stud front overhang allowed;

I doubt I've covered all aspects, and the above list actually looks bigger
than I thought when it was all in my head.

So, what do you like about the above list? What don't you like? What
additions/subtractions/improvements/etc would you suggest?

Well, that's me two cents worth.

Alan

PS Josh, thanks for correcting the spelling of the subject line :)

In lugnet.castle, Josh Wedin writes:
I really like this idea for a common project.  Of course, I am biased since
it is already what I am doing.  I use the 32x32 baseplate as the standard in
my town so I am fine with the minimum of 16x16 as the standard for this
project.  It just means that I build four at once!  I also use the 16x32
baseplates for my roads.  Any problems with this?

What about attaching units?  Do we just use green plates to attach or are we
going to build up one brick and use technic connectors?  There are pros and
cons to both.  Any ideas?

One more thing, we don't have to limit ourselves to a market.  I am planning
my village to be a medium size town on a fair day.  Not a royal fair, but a
small one put on by the local lord.  Includes a small tournament.  If the
whole town was built out of 16x16 baseplates we could make a really nice
town, not just a market!

Build On!
Josh

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:
Jeremy Scott wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeremy Scott writes:
One word - "marketplace"!

The market place was the center of the medevil town.  Now we castle builders
need to become merchantmen instead of army generals.

A market stand is built onto a "plot" - say 15x15.  The "plot" may either
have 1 corner or no corner.  Merchandise can be anything.

I really like this idea.  Not sure what you mean by "corner" though, do you
mean the stand is a corner stand so that there are two sides of it open to
the shoppers instead of just one?

Yes, the marketplace would be on a street or road.  You can build your stand
to be literally just a stand, or it can be a building multiple stories tall.

The road idea means we can connect our market stands together when we would
meet at conventions or local club meetings.

I would think 16x16 would be a more natural LEGO plot size.  Do we want to
have build in connectors bwetween the stalls, or little alleyways between them?

One reminder since people didn't think about it with the castle town:

Make sure your creation is entirely within the 16x16 area, except that
it may hang over the street some.

Frank