 Castle / 14756
Re: Medieval Marketplace (A Common Castle Builders Project)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:32:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.castle, Alan Findlay writes:
<de-lurk>

<snip>
Marketplace:
- Baseplate standard: 16x16;
- temporary style structures of one level (an "attic" level might be workable);
- front offset of ~3-4 studs - allows for pedestrian traffic between facing
stalls;
- back offset of ~1-2 studs - for back alley access for merchants;
- if not a full-width stall, a side offset of ~1-2 studs;
- if a corner stall, front off-sets of ~3-4 studs on both sides, back
off-set of 2x2 studs minimum.

My only concern about this is that at the max offsets, the stall itself is
only 10x12, which is prety small.  Considering that one stud on each side
will be used for the wall, the inside dimensions of the stall are 9x10.  The
stall I build last night is flush against the edge on three sides, and
offset 4 studs on the front, with an overhang of the roof/awning of two
studs.  This left me with an 11x14 area inside to work with.  Of course,
there's no room for a back alley if another stall is pushed up directly
against the back of mine, but I was thinking that maybey the alley itself
could be made out of some 4xN plates placed in-between the stalls.

Good points. I don't see a problem with maxing out your baseplate space. If
these creations are brought together at a show, then yours could be placed
back-to-back with someone with a 2 stud back offset. In my imagination, the
alley between stalls would be a fairly helter-skelter afair, sometimes wide,
sometimes practically non-existant. It's fair-day, so everyone is jostling
for position. Let the merchants sell!! :)

Bringing Josh's reply into this line of the thread, how about 16-wide
baseplates would be for the main streets, and 8-wide baseplates for side
streets? From movies, I always get a sense of claustrophobia when characters
move off of main streets and into the teaming warrens of sidestreets.

As for city walls/gates, that could be a whole other subset, with guidelines
for joining walls. Haven't thought that one through at all.

So, we'd have:
1) Marketplace;
2) Market/town street;
3) City/town walls/gates.

Something for everyone!!

Oops, what about the nobility??? And the clergy???

Ah, well, one thing at a time. ;)

Alan