Re: Why quads? Re: L(EGO)Draw parts - 4th batch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:17:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
I see.  So what you really want to do in LDView is ignore the Type 5
lines (at least for smoothing) and smooth wherever there's no Type 2
edge lines between the triangles (and quads).

Actually, no.  That is indeed a long-term goal, but it is hampered by two
things.  First of all, it's a lot of work.  Secondly, the current algorithm is
actually useful to part authors, since it can visually highlight missing
conditional lines.  (Of course, since the current algorithm has bugs, that
decreases its utility for this purpose.)  If I implement the new smoothing
algorithm you suggest, I'll retain the current one as an optional one for part
authors to use, while making the new one the default one.

My planned fix for the bug in the current algorithm is to add dummy entries in
my "type 5 map" used for the smoothing.  So, when I build the map of type 5
lines that is specifically used for smoothing and nothing else, I'll insert
entries between adjacent co-planar triangles.  I believe that this should be
straightforward, but I haven't really investigated yet.

--Travis