Re: Why quads? Re: L(EGO)Draw parts - 4th batch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:46:05 GMT

I realise this is largely off-topic to the oriinal thread but I've always
been curious why the use of quads is encouraged when just about every other
format and rendering engine sticks to triangles. So the part author merges
triangles into quads and then whatever software looks at the part undoes the
merge.

Good question!
+ reduces file size by 50%
+ 50% less vertices to adjust when building "by hand"
+ triangles plays havoc with smooth shading (the helical artefact that can be
seen here http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LEGODraw/m50986.png disappears when
triangles are converted to quads. But I guess it could be solved at renderer
level too.
- More complexity in many tools
- introduces coplanarity issues

Philo