Re: L(EGO)Draw parts - 4th batch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   Hi folks,

the LEGO Universe Team has shared another batch of part shapes with the
community, with the purpose to make them fit for the LDraw Parts Tracker.

The astute parts author will notice a slightly new format to these new files. I thought it might help to describe them.

The first line is the official LEGO Group name for the part. These are almost always exclusively in UPPERCASE, so you’ll see them this way in the parts files.

The 2nd line involves trying to approximate a proper “0 Name:” line to save time, based on the generated file name without the prepended M.

The third line is a courtesy to signal an unofficial part (obviously)

The fourth line flags this as a Foundry converted part, as opposed to the traditional stl2dat tool.

All the part meshes come out “properly wound” so BFC certification has been generated.

The source meshes organize faces into groups. Those groups were used to sort the output lines and also color sets of faces to make conversion to primitives easier on parts authors. Comments were used to describe the start and end of each section.

“main” is already in color 16, and involves any parts not in the other categories.

“stud” usually represents a male mating surface, they are colored as LDRAW color 14 (yellow). In many cases, a stud primitive should be used instead of the group. Please note, LDRAW studs are SHORTER than official studs by an appreciable margin, so a direct drop-in replacement was not easily done. You may find your studs offset in the y direction at first, based on the orientation you use (if you were to position based on the “top” of a stud mesh from the LU file, you’ll “bury” part of the stud in the main model because of the difference in heights). This is just something to keep an eye on.

“base” represents a female-mating surface, and in many cases needs to be replaced with a tube or stud primitive, but also different curve portions may apply. These appear as LDRAW color 1 (blue)

“tube” isn’t really well defined. It appears pinkish, and usually signals a likely primitive substitution (but is also often connected to base or stud, in the rare cases it seems to appear).

The grouping should make primitive substitution work a lot easier to accomplish.

-- joshua