Re: Issue with new LDConfig.ldr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 23:44:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:

The 1.0 LDraw File Format specification itself is silent on the matter of line
endings, but indeed the "File Format Restrictions for Official Parts" requires
DOS line endings (http://ldraw.org/Article512.html#termination).

So, because I am a geek, and because I was curious about the practical reasons
for the DOS line ending requirement, I conducted a relatively comprehensive
compatibility inventory.

http://anoved.net/2010/01/ldraw-line-endings/

Of nearly twenty programs tested (see the post for repetitive screenshots), only
James J's LDRAW and LEDIT (and perhaps LDAO, although I didn't test it) actually
rely on DOS line endings. The rest, running on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux,
were all capable of loading a model formatted with Unix line endings.

My conclusion is essentially that this is as it should be - we have a format
that preserves compatibility with older components, and tools that are robust
enough to understand reasonable exceptions to the format.

Also, wow - as I started collecting screenshots and trying out less familiar
programs, it became evident just how much interesting LDraw software there is. I
think this is great news for the community, and something for the developers
(and the Jessimans) to be proud of.

Jim