Re: Issue with new LDConfig.ldr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 04:30:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:

So, because I am a geek, and because I was curious about the practical reasons
for the DOS line ending requirement, I conducted a relatively comprehensive
compatibility inventory.

http://anoved.net/2010/01/ldraw-line-endings/

Sweet!  It's pretty cool just to see the list of screenshots.  Thanks for
putting that together, it was a neat read.

My conclusion is essentially that this is as it should be - we have a format
that preserves compatibility with older components, and tools that are robust
enough to understand reasonable exceptions to the format.

Exactly.

Also, wow - as I started collecting screenshots and trying out less familiar
programs, it became evident just how much interesting LDraw software there is. I
think this is great news for the community, and something for the developers
(and the Jessimans) to be proud of.

:)

Steve