Subject:
Issue with new LDConfig.ldr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:23:43 GMT

I just realized that LDConfig.ldr has a problem -- it does not have DOS line
breaks.  Each line should be terminated by CR/LF.  Instead, this file just has
LF characters.

This format breaks some functionality (maybe unreleased...) of LDAO.

I thought the LDraw file format specified CR/LF linebreaks, maybe I'm
misremembering.  Or maybe that requirement was dropped?  At any rate,
LDConfig.ldr should use the same formatting as the other files in the library
distribution.

Steve

Re: Issue with new LDConfig.ldr
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss wrote:
I just realized that LDConfig.ldr has a problem -- it does not have DOS line
breaks.  Each line should be terminated by CR/LF.  Instead, this file just has
LF characters.

This format breaks some functionality (maybe unreleased...) of LDAO.

I thought the LDraw file format specified CR/LF linebreaks, maybe I'm
misremembering.  Or maybe that requirement was dropped?  At any rate,
LDConfig.ldr should use the same formatting as the other files in the library
distribution.

Steve

So I've noticed, too. But I've quit pointing those problems out. My latest
method to fix line breaks is simply to load and save the file in question in
Windows WordPad. That's all it takes to fix it, and WordPad is always installed
in Windows PC's.

/Tore

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for pointing this out. The CR/LF error in the LDC*.ldr files is now
fixed in the current downloads.

Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Admin)

[...]

The 1.0 LDraw File Format specification itself is silent on the matter of line
endings, but indeed the "File Format Restrictions for Official Parts" requires
DOS line endings (http://ldraw.org/Article512.html#termination).

My opinion is that while well-behaved software should output files in adherence
with the specification (including the requirements for official parts,
generally), it should also be able handle minor discrepancies in the input (like
line endings). Perhaps that's another item for the to-do list, then!

Cheers,
Jim

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Chris Dee wrote:

Many thanks for pointing this out. The CR/LF error in the LDC*.ldr files is now
fixed in the current downloads.

Wow. Thanks for the incredibly rapid resolution. :)