Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:11:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice.
In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard:
http://www.pobursky.com/common/files/MPDWizard.zip (may not work with Vista)

-Orion