Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:11:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice.
In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard:
http://www.pobursky.com/common/files/MPDWizard.zip (may not work with Vista)

-Orion

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice.
In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard:
http://www.pobursky.com/common/files/MPDWizard.zip (may not work with Vista)

-Orion

Do you have any help files on that tool?  I don't understand how to use it.  For
one thing I put unofficial parts into my regular LDRAW\PARTS directory, so there
is no "unofficial parts path."  I wasn't aware that MLCAD could scan multiple
parts paths.

What I want to do is take an existing MPD file that uses some unofficial parts
(which are in my parts list) and load all the parts and dependent files that it
uses into it.