    Best practice for using unofficial parts? —William R. Ward
   At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret Keys, but it used two unofficial parts. To make the file, I downloaded the parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share it with others (...) (16 years ago, 1-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Orion Pobursky
     (...) I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice. In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard: (URL) (may not work with Vista) -Orion (16 years ago, 1-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

         Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —William R. Ward
     (...) Do you have any help files on that tool? I don't understand how to use it. For one thing I put unofficial parts into my regular LDRAW\PARTS directory, so there is no "unofficial parts path." I wasn't aware that MLCAD could scan multiple parts (...) (16 years ago, 1-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Jim DeVona
   (...) I don't know. LDView takes care of retrieving missing parts in MPDs that I download, but there is a case to be made for including unofficial parts in the MPD. Since the parts are unofficial, changes to their origin or orientation might take (...) (16 years ago, 1-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Timothy Gould
     (...) I think the cheese slope is the perfect example of this happening. Most of my early MPDs using it are misoriented by 90 degrees due to a change in the part. (...) See above ;) Tim (16 years ago, 1-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Michael Heidemann
   (...) I agree to Jim. To make it in an easy way I wrote a prog MPDCenter that is still available. Maybe you can use it. cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 2-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —William R. Ward
   (...) I downloaded tried to install MPDCenter from here: (URL) the installer is all in German, which I can't read, and I got an error message that I can't understand... I would copy/paste the error, but it doesn't allow me to select the text from (...) (16 years ago, 4-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Tore Eriksson
     (...) I find German hard to read, but not at all impossible. And I don't think Swedish is much closer related to German than English is. Anyway, you can always make a screen dump and crop out the error messagebox. /Tore (16 years ago, 5-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Michael Heidemann
     (...) I am very sorry for that mistake has happen. I would like to help you in this case, but as long as I have no more detailed informations, I am unable to help. For translations I recommend (URL) to use. As far as I know the best translation tool (...) (16 years ago, 5-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

        Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts? —Dean Earley
   (...) If it is a messagebox, pressing Ctrl+C will copy the contents to the clipboard and beep. (16 years ago, 7-Sep-08, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)