Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:12:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Michael Heidemann wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I've done both in the past, but is there an accepted standard best practice?

I don't know. LDView takes care of retrieving missing parts in MPDs that I
download, but there is a case to be made for including unofficial parts in the
MPD. Since the parts are unofficial, changes to their origin or orientation
might take place after you share the MPD, changing the apparent construction of
the model.

For that reason, I'll venture to say that the best practice is to include
unofficial parts in the MPD.

Jim

I agree to Jim. To make it in an easy way I wrote a prog MPDCenter that is still
available. Maybe you can use it.

I downloaded tried to install MPDCenter from here:
http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownloaddetails-lid-64.html
but the installer is all in German, which I can't read, and I got an error
message that I can't understand...  I would copy/paste the error, but it doesn't
allow me to select the text from the dialog box.

I am very sorry for that mistake has happen. I would like to help you in this
case, but as long as I have no more detailed informations, I am unable to help.
For translations I recommend http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to use. As far as I
know the best translation tool on the web for free for whole sentence. For
single words I prefer http://www.leo.org/index_en.html.
I hope this helps.

cu
mikeheide