Subject:
Best practice for using unofficial parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:27:45 GMT

At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I've done both in the past, but is there an accepted standard best practice?

Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice.
In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard:
http://www.pobursky.com/common/files/MPDWizard.zip (may not work with Vista)

-Orion

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I use number 2 and I think it's the standard practice.
In an act of shameless self promotion, I recommend MPD Wizard:
http://www.pobursky.com/common/files/MPDWizard.zip (may not work with Vista)

-Orion

Do you have any help files on that tool?  I don't understand how to use it.  For
one thing I put unofficial parts into my regular LDRAW\PARTS directory, so there
is no "unofficial parts path."  I wasn't aware that MLCAD could scan multiple
parts paths.

What I want to do is take an existing MPD file that uses some unofficial parts
(which are in my parts list) and load all the parts and dependent files that it
uses into it.

Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William R. Ward wrote:
At BrickFair I made an MPD file of a covered cylindrical hopper car by Margaret
Keys, but it used two unofficial parts.  To make the file, I downloaded the
parts (and the needed subassembly files) into my parts library, but if I share
it with others then the unofficial parts won't be there.

What's the best way to handle this?  I see two options:

1. Release the file as is, with instructions on which files you need to download
from the unofficial parts library

or

2. Include the unofficial parts in the MPD file itself.

I've done both in the past, but is there an accepted standard best practice?

I don't know. LDView takes care of retrieving missing parts in MPDs that I
download, but there is a case to be made for including unofficial parts in the
MPD. Since the parts are unofficial, changes to their origin or orientation
might take place after you share the MPD, changing the apparent construction of
the model.

For that reason, I'll venture to say that the best practice is to include
unofficial parts in the MPD.

Jim

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:
[...]

I think the cheese slope is the perfect example of this happening. Most of my
early MPDs using it are misoriented by 90 degrees due to a change in the part.

For that reason, I'll venture to say that the best practice is to include
unofficial parts in the MPD.

Jim

See above ;)

Tim

[...]

I agree to Jim. To make it in an easy way I wrote a prog MPDCenter that is still
available. Maybe you can use it.

cu
mikeheide

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Michael Heidemann wrote:
[...]

I downloaded tried to install MPDCenter from here:
http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownloaddetails-lid-64.html
but the installer is all in German, which I can't read, and I got an error
message that I can't understand...  I would copy/paste the error, but it doesn't
allow me to select the text from the dialog box.

[...]

I find German hard to read, but not at all impossible. And I don't think Swedish
is much closer related to German than English is.

Anyway, you can always make a screen dump and crop out the error messagebox.

/Tore

[...]

I am very sorry for that mistake has happen. I would like to help you in this
case, but as long as I have no more detailed informations, I am unable to help.
For translations I recommend http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to use. As far as I
know the best translation tool on the web for free for whole sentence. For
single words I prefer http://www.leo.org/index_en.html.
I hope this helps.

cu
mikeheide

Re: Best practice for using unofficial parts?
I would copy/paste the error, but it doesn't
allow me to select the text from the dialog box.

If it is a messagebox, pressing Ctrl+C will copy the contents to the
clipboard and beep.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/