 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 770
Re: Bricksmith tips and techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:49:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Allen Smith wrote:

   As noted among its existing Feature Requests (.rtf), Bricksmith doesn’t display coordinate axes.

Good gosh, someone is even digging through my CVS repository! The reason you’re not able to commit anything, incidentally, is because you are not listed as a Developer on my project. Anyway, if you have programming exerience, I know an open-source program that has outstanding feature requests.

I hope you are not alarmed that someone has been snooping around in there! :) In fact, I hadn’t actually tried to commit anything; frankly, I’d just left that as an exercise for anyone else who thought the colorized icons were handy (which admittedly is only really the case if you’re accustomed to the XYZ/RGB convention, but it seems easy enough to pick up).

I do have programming experience, but not with Cocoa or Objective-C (I am keen to learn, however). I would love to make more substantial contributions to Bricksmith, though, so once my current queue of projects empties out it is something I’d like to look at.

Incidentally, here’s a sneak preview of what I’m currently wrapping up - a little web script that generates an LDraw “sticker” from images you upload. It’s not a serious tool, as the output is terribly inefficient, but it might be fun for people already doing fancy renders or animations. Just waiting to work out some issues with my web server before really announcing it:

Bitsticker example gallery